ページ

2016/06/15

MY EXPERIENCE PLAYING TAIKO



One thing I really like from the gypsy community in Spain, is that when there is something they like, they say: "That's very flamenco!"

The first time I listened Taiko was a year ago at the Kodo group concert. Kodo is one of the most relevant and important Japanese drum groups. Seeing their performance was like diving into a mixture of traditional rituals, with contemporary touches in which men and women participating accumulating all their culture in the “mass of their blood”, as occurs with flamenco. I was so excited and It sounded so flamenco that I had no doubts about starting learning it. For me, taiko represents the chaos of the accurate, the extreme limit of an emotion. What also caught my attention is that despite being so individual, is the image of a collective memory.

Now, I humbly can take part of this thanks to the support of my taiko group mates and the constant teachings of Umemura Mihoko. Umemura is a professional Taiko player, she stands out for being a member of “Dadadadan Tenko” group, one of the most famous and relevant taiko groups in Japan. Also, to my surprise, she speaks Spanish very good! We meet every week to play taiko in Asano Taiko studio, a special place for me because the studio was acoustically designed by my company, YAB Corporation.

Last 15th of May, the "Sukuramu 21" theatre in Kanagawa hold the 8th edition of the event "Kyowasai" in an evening full of taiko and Matsuri (festival) instruments performances. This was the first time I played taiko on the stage and in front of guests. The evening was very special because I felt totally supported by my mother who came from Spain to see the concert, my boss, co-workers and lots of friends. Another of many experiences of my Japanese life that I will never forget.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hay una cosa que me gusta mucho del pueblo gitano en España, cuando algo les gusta, dicen "Eso es muy flamenco".

La primera vez que escuché tocar el taiko fue en el concierto de Kodo, uno de los grupos más relevantes e importantes del tambor japonés. Verlo, fue como sumergirse en una mezcla de rituales tradicionales, con toques contemporáneos en la que los hombres y mujeres que participaban acumulaban toda su cultura en la masa de la sangre, al igual que ocurre flamenco. Me emocionó tanto y me sonó tan flamenco que no dudé ni un segundo en que tenía que aprender a tocarlo. Para mí, el taiko representa el caos de lo exacto, el límite extremo de una emoción. Lo que me llama mucho la atención, es que aún siendo tan individual, es el retrato de una memoria colectiva.

Yo ahora humildemente puedo formar parte de ello gracias al apoyo de mis compañeros del grupo y las constantes enseñanzas de mi profesora Umemura Mihoko. Umemura es profesional del Taiko y ha formado parte durante más de 10 años del grupo “Dadadadan Tenko” de Osaka, uno de los más importantes de Japón. Además, para mi sorpresa habla español perfectamente! Todas las semanas nos reunimos para dar clase en el estudio de Asano Taiko, un lugar muy especial para mí ya que ha sido diseñado acústicamente por mi empresa, YAB Corporation.

El pasado 15 de Mayo, el teatro "Sukuramu 21" de Kanagawa, se celebró la octava edición del evento “Kyowasai” una tarde de conciertos de grupos de de taiko e instrumentos del matsuri (fiesta) donde yo tocaría en público por primera vez. La tarde fue muy especial ya que en el concierto me sentí totalmente arropado. A mi estreno acudió mi madre que vino desde España, mi jefe, compañeros de trabajo y muchos de mis amigos. Ésta se convirtió en otra de tantas experiencias de mi vida Japonesa que nunca olvidaré.